Technical/progressive metal legends CYNIC are putting the finishing touches on their upcoming album, to be released later this year via Season of Mist Records. Returning from the "Focus"-era are founding members Paul Masvidal (guitars/clean vocals) and Sean Reinert (drums) along with Sean Malone (bass), and joining the band in the studio is newcomer Tymon Kruidenier (guitars/growls). The band are currently doing the final stages of mixing with producer Warren Riker, and the band are extremely happy with the results.
In addition, the band have announced their first upcoming live dates in Europe, with additional dates/touring to be announced in the near future (including US dates). The band have also been announced as the headliner for this year's ProgPower Europe festival, and will be playing a special extended set at the show.
Guitarist/vocalist Paul Masvidal had this to say:
"Sean and I are pleased to announce the completion of album #2. We've been on an amazing journey discovering this new music and soon it will be yours. Expect the unexpected. The album is an intensely concentrated mosaic of internal and external energies, from the deepest peace to the purest aggression. There's an acquired taste that comes with a record of this density, but once your ears wrap themselves around the language at work, everything falls into place and suddenly you'll feel a sudden urge to sing, scream or maybe even cry. The album has a beginning, middle and end. The story will reveal itself after numerous listens and then you may not want to let go. Besides Reinert and I, Tymon brought some new life force and magic to the record with fierce growling and poetic guitar sensibilities. Malone also did a fine job with the low end, grooving away with Reinert in a pocket land from hell!
For the live department, due to Malone's other commitments, we're pleased to welcome Robin Zielhorst into the fold on bass along with Tymon growling and ripping it up on another glorious Steinberger! Robin's a phenomenal Dutch talent pulled from Tymon's brain into the madness of Cynic's musical melange. The band is now a fiery breathing entity, full of magic dust, ready to appear at your doorstep this summer. Please join us at an upcoming concert."
Here are the scheduled live dates so far:
• FR 25 July Netherlands Weert - De Bosuil / www.debosuil.nl
• SA 26 July Netherlands Lichtenvoorde - Zwarte Cross Festival / www.zwartecross.nl
• SU 27 July France Paris - Nouveau Casino www.nouveaucasino.net
• MO 28 July France Luynes / Marseille - Le Korigan
• TU 29 July Italy Manesseno / Genoa - Villa Serra / "Santo Rock Off" Open Air www.villaserra.it
• WE 30 July Italy Milano - Zoe Club www.zoeclub.it
• FR 01 Aug. Germany Wacken - Wacken Open Air Festival / www.wacken.com
• SU 03 Aug. Poland Warsaw - Progresja www.progresja.com
• TU 05 Aug. Ukraine Crimea - Metal Heads' Mission Festival / http://mhm-fest.com
• WE 06 Aug. Czech Republic Prague - Futurum http://futurum.musicbar.cz w/ Killswitch Engage & As I Lay Dying
• TH 07 Aug. Germany Essen - Turock www.turock.de
• SA 09 Aug. Spain Vigo - Alternavigo Festival / www.alternavigo.com
• SA 04 Oct. Netherlands Baarlo - Prog Power Festival Europe www.progpower.eu
For more information, check www.myspace.com/cyniconline and www.season-of-mist.com